Monday, May 17, 2010

Training and Tea Trials

Training for my new job + grad classes starting up again for the summer session has resulted in my neglectfulness of my virtual soapbox here. Apox upon me! Even now I only have a few minutes in my University library before class to log a quickie post about my new foodie-type fascination - bulk loose tea.

Working in the natural foods section of my awesome grocer/employer, I am responsible for the maintenance of the impressive section of bulk tea bins. Recently, I had to weigh each tin's contents for inventory purposes, and then re-order each, if necessary.  This required me to open each tin for the first time.  I did so, and with each bin of tea there came a wave of unique and delicious aromas, over and over.. Chocolate chai (with big hunks of real chocolate!), Blueberry Rooibos (chock full o' dried blueberries), Peach White tea (with dried peach slices), Mandarin Sencha, etc etc.. Wow.  I made a mission to try a new loose tea each day to educate my tastebuds and my brain so I can provide "knowledge-base service" to my customers.  Not only did I get out of bed a little quicker this week (especially on "chocolate chai day" - wow, by the way..) but I found a whole new world of low-cal treats!
Sure, you can gussy up your cup of tea with cream and sugar and make it just as fattening as any whipped-up-frappa-whoosy-whatsy, but if you keep it clean and simple, you can really enjoy a guilt-free treat of tea to slide nicely onto your food log without batting an eye.  (yes, the hunks of chocolate count once they are melted into your cup, but most loose teas do not contain hunks of chocolate.. and I was honest on my food log and made room for it, thanksverymuch.)  I could go on and on about the health benefits of regularly including real tea in your intake (3 cups of a day is ideal), but like I said, this is a quickie and I'm focusing on the superficial niceties of tea.. like yumminess factor vs calories. 

My biggest learning from this open-minded tea adventure?  Bulk loose tea kicks the ass of any pre-packaged tea bag you'll meet.  They may as well sweep the dust off the tea packaging company's floor and fold it into the sachets you find in those boxes.  (No real offense to tea bag lovers, but, well, you try bulk loose tea and tell me what you think is better.)  Loose tea is vibrant and flavorful and, well, fun.  Tons of varieties, and a nice change up from the normal routine.  I look forward to a quiet moment with a warm cup of tea before the craziness of my day begins.  I bet you often have a busy day on your agenda as well.  So, I invite you to head to your local Teavana (now taking the mall-world by storm, plus they have a cool-ass 'perfect tea' dispenser thingey) or well-stocked grocer, and 'Give teas a chance.'

(Lame final words, I know.. These 4:45 am wake ups are murder on a keen sense of humor.) 
P.S. Aforementioned post on 'new potential superfood' coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment