Monday, February 22, 2010

Do you know Gnu?

I cannot believe I forgot to mention my favorite fiber-filled goodie, and so I must quickly update this blog o' mine so that I can spread the good word on:  Gnu Foods Flavor & Fiber Bars.  This awesome all-natural bar has 12 monster grams of fiber - that is nearly 50% of a woman's daily fiber count.  Their high fiber blend is a blend of their own, packed with: whole rolled oats, whole wheat flour, wheat bran, organic kamut (an ancient grain), psyllium, flax, and millet.  Then on top of that they pack in chicory root inulin, which is what most manufacturers use to add fiber to their granola bars or cereals.  Get in the habit of peeking at ingredient lists, not just nutrition labels.

Gnu bars are super fresh-tasting, with 6 whole grains, sweetened entirely with fruit juice.  My favorite flavor, hands-down, is Orange Cranberry - the aroma of the citrus volatiles (the delightfully-fragrant gases that enter the air when you open the package, or cut an orange peel, for that matter) hit your nose immediately and then the sweet, chewy, crunchy bar is lovely and quite decently-sized for a mere 130 calories.  There are 6 other tasty flavors available.  To my preference, my favorites from best to very good, after Orange Cranberry, are: Banana Walnut, Cinnamon Raisin, Chocolate Brownie, Peanut Butter, Espresso Chip, and Lemon Ginger.  I get my supply at Whole Foods, but on their website you can sign up for a monthly shipment of bars, by enrolling in the Joy of Fiber Club.  (cute.)  Enjoy this new find!  Which I just now see - as I am typing this - is mentioned in this month's issue of Oxygen magazine!  I am psychic.

No comments:

Post a Comment