Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Discovery of Wegmans Mini Scones

My boyfriend Ed and I have a great Sunday routine.  Though it's not likely perceived as particularly special to anyone outside of our coupledom, we're happy with it and it serves as a re-charge for the rest of the week.  I wouldn't make public note of it except today it happened to include the makings of the very first Scone Update!  (insert dramatic music here)

We rolled out of bed as usual, threw on some hoodies and headed out for grocery shopping at Wegmans and random errands, inevitably stopping at Starbucks, home of The Cinnamon Scone.  I wasn't even planning on getting one, but of course I always give it a little longing-filled looksie, regardless.  How about this for a slap from the universe to remind me that I definitely wasn't getting a cinnamon scone today?  Lame.


Bastards! Pleeenty of berry scones left (which are pretty decent, but a little dry and not enough to tempt me from my sort-of-carefully-derived macro-nutrient breakdown for the day.)  Cinnamon is where it's at.

So, we got our coffee and continued on to Wegmans, best food market around (save Whole Foods, Trader Joes, and specialty stores for specific "health food" shopping.)  If you've never been to Wegmans, I hope you get to visit one soon.  They are fairly localized to the Northeast region of the U.S., expanding all the time.   Go visit a long-lost Pennsylvania relativeif you have one, just for the Wegmans experience.  Noticeably-friendlier staff, great selection of fresh produce and organic foods, prepared foods section with demos, etc etc.  And today.. they shot right up the rankings of grocery stores close to my heart (of which, weirdly, there are many), as I discovered... Wegmans Mini Cinnamon Scones.  Needless to say, I did kind of a little jump-skip-dance in place as I tossed the tub o' scones into the cart.

Nutrition Label: 
Serving size: 3 mini scones. Calories 230, Total Fat 10g, Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Sodium 240mg, Carbs 33g, Fiber 0g, Sugars 14g, Protein 3g.
which means...
Serving size: 1 mini scone. Calories 76, Total Fat 3g, Saturated Fat 1.5g, Trans Fat 0g, Sodium 80g, Carbs 11g, Fiber 0g, Sugars 5g, Protein 1g.

That is not too shabby people!  Plus they are only $2.99 for 15 scones, have a decent shelf life length, and they taste just divine!  Moist (without the aid of any partially hydrogenated oils per the ingredients label - score another point for Wegs), sweet but not too sweet, and very cinnamon-y, which makes me happy.  What a find!  I may not eat them every day - I'll probably bring about half of the container to work, but suffice to say, this is a lovely discovery.  Not to mention, these tender scone-y delights come in different flavors.  I am partial to cinnamon, as you well know, but I'm down for trying orange cranberry and whatever else Wegmans comes up with in the mini scones line.

No comments:

Post a Comment